Thursday, December 10, 2009

Rip Off: Loneliness

This post is a rip off/my own take of a web comic I came across the other day. It struck close to home. It's a little emo ill admit, but it documents some left out parts of my trip and sums up a lot of my current thoughts on my experiences thus far.

While not all of the pictures are from China, and it doesn't match the comic PERFECTLY, each picture definitely represents I critical point along the way. Most of them I had already taken anyway (ok I stole one of FB, see if you can guess).

For instance the first picture is in Australia, when I split from the group and took a snorkeling trip on my own. It was the day that solidified my want to travel after college (Also to go along with the comic, pre Australia was kind of a dark time in my life.) The picture on the deck is the day before I left. One picture is part of my motivation to get away, while others are of people and places I miss now and again. Still others are just part of day to day life here that I haven't posted anywhere else or that I have been promising that show a bit of where I live. All this will make much more sense paired with the writing and comic. So here goes...

You can see the original comic here http://saraholeksyk.com/loneliness.html It will make 100x more sense if you do.

Loneliness

I've been having these dearms where I am swimming underwater very deep below the surface. Its dark, night time, and as far as I can see there is nothing. Just water and the ocean floor...
n14310914_33187334_6745

It's winter. To0 cold and wet for me to wander outside and my phone is broken (ok not really just super expensive to call anyone)
DSC00548

I don't leave my house much, its the same every day.

Work
Photo on 2009-10-26 at 08.54 #2

Home
DSC00550

Sleep
DSC00551

Work
Photo on 2009-10-21 at 09.22

I live alone. I come home to a dark hallway every night and
DSC00543

wake up on the same side of my bed, in my grove.

Half my pay check (ok a Quarter) goes to rent because I have no roommate. This was a sacrifice I HAD to make for this.

It seems to me that to many people are afraid of being alone, or relatively alone. I can think of a few people who like it as much as I do.
9028_629327550524_14310864_37060417_7473358_n
Isolation isn't always loneliness.

Alright, You'll think I am crazy... but I enjoy my own company as much as I enjoy another's. It never seems like I am alone when I am by my self.

There is a constant dialogue as if there is Me and "someone with me".

DSC00264

I don't know if you feel this way or if anyone else does.

And I guess it doesn't matter as long as its their only when I am alone.

4919_609901959564_14312429_36162611_8275452_n

I have no idea if this is true, but it seems like most people feel secure when they attach them selves to others. I feel this way too.

But where others feel lost by them selves, I feel secure.

DSC00521

Its a time when I don't worry, I don't lie, I don't regret.

Not always, but I usually like it. A lot.

I've put a lot of thought and work into making my self someone I respect. (and so have others)
DSC00030

And of course I like to be with others and go out and party...
DSC00024

IMG_0623

...But when I am alone...
20091031(017)

Its a good thing, and I am Happy.

Yes I know that posting this on a blog for people to read is moderately ironic but that's not REALLY the point.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that - I know I'm just some basically unknown first cousin, once removed or is it 2nd cousin but I've been really grateful to you for your posts (widened my world) and from reading them, I feel like you are a person I respect. Feeling pride/self-respect through individuals in one's family may be strange but I do feel proud to be related to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I can't believe I missed this comment! Thanks so much! I know that feeling. I just traveled down to Oneonta to film some stories about the family told via my grandpa and grandma and the whole time there was this fantastic sense of pride to be associated with such great people.

    Not to mention I get a similar feeling when a "basically unknown first cousin once removed"pops up out of no where and writes something that nice about me!

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete