Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Bottom of the Top of the World

Hey all!

Just checking in from what I am told is Highest Broadband connection in the world!

After 2 days of trekking, I have just arrived in Namche Bazaar in the Nepali Himalayas! Namche is approximately 12,000 feet above sea level (4,000 meters for all you non Americans) with a population of about 1,500.

It is sort of the last major out post before Everest Base camp. Traditionally it is a trading village for Nepalis and Tibetan people.

The hike has been impressively beautiful. Between glacial melt rivers, prayer flags, a huge varity of plant life, and more amazing mountains than you can count the walks have been super enjoyable.

Here are some of the picture of the first day.

On day one I took a Charter flight from Kathmandu (4,000 ft) to Lukla (8,000). The landing strip is "the most dangerous in the world". It is tilted to slow the plans down before they land (in order to prevent you from crashing into the mountain).
SAM_0482

From there, I met up with my Sherpa and started my trek from Lukla to just past Monju.

A street in Lukla
SAM_0486

The start of the trail to base camp.
SAM_0487

One of the many prayer rocks along the trip.
SAM_0523

A fancy place to stay along the way.
SAM_0543

This way to Namche.
SAM_0551

Glacial ice melt river.
SAM_0555

My Sherpa's Village
SAM_0536

Yaks on a bridge.

SAM_0577


A little water fall I discovered.
SAM_0589

The altitude hasn't been a problem, and I am hiking faster than I expected! Its been a great trip.

There are just a few pictures I mananged to upload in the 1 hours worth of internet I bought up here. There are TONS more to come!

Stay good.

No comments:

Post a Comment